The PST files of MS Outlook are extremely capable of storing the mailbox items. However, you should know that the PST files come with a size limit. For MS Outlook versions of 2002 and earlier, the size of the ANSI PST files is 2GB. However, when you’re using MS Outlook 2007 and more upgraded versions, the size limit of the PST files will be expanded up to 20GB. With the newer versions of MS Outlook, the size of the PST files has been increased to 50GB. But do you know what happens when the PST files become oversize? You will end up corrupting the PST files and losing all the mailbox items permanently. This is why many Outlook users ask how they can reduce the size of their PST files.
We have considered this issue and created some effective techniques. In this article, we will discuss both the professional and free manual methods of reducing the size of the PST data files.
Benefits of Reducing Size of PST Files
When you decrease the size of the PST files, you will be able to reap a couple of benefits. For instance, it will improve the usability of MS Outlook as you will be able to manage the mailbox data items of MS Outlook software more effectively. Apart from that, when the PST files become large and you split the large outlook data files, you will be able to prevent the MS Outlook performance to be slowed down. As per Tech Hit, you can boost the overall performance of MS Outlook by reducing the PST files. You can also avoid the Outlook data file corruption issue.
Free Manual Methods to Decrease the Size of PST Files
If you’re going for the free manual method to reduce the PST file size, you need to consider two different types of workarounds. We will discuss both of them in brief so that you don’t face any problems while following this method to reduce the PST file size.
Workaround 1: Use Compact Now Option
If you’re choosing the Compact Now option of MS Outlook, here are the important steps you need to follow:
- Choose the option File and click on the Info setting.
- After that, you need to go through the Account Settings from where you also need to go to another option named Account Settings.
- After that, choose the option Data Files and click on Settings. From there you will be able to choose the specific PST file. After you’re done choosing, you need to choose the Compact Now option.
- Click the OK option to break the PST files successfully.
For MS Outlook 2007 and 2003
This Compact Now technique will be changed slightly if you’re using MS Outlook 2003 and 2007. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Choose the File tab and click on the Data File Management option.
- After double clinking on the Data File, you need to choose the targeted file for which you want to reduce the PST file size.
- Click on the Settings and Choose Compact Now option.
- Click on Exit to complete the process.
Workaround 2: Archive the Emails in MS Outlook
Here is another free manual method you need to try if the first process fails. Here are the essential steps you need to remember.
- Click on the File tab from where you can choose Info. After that choose Tool and go to the option Clean up Old Items.
- Choose the Archive dialogue box that is displayed on the screen. You need to click the “Archive This Folder and All Subfolders” option. After that, you need to pick the folder and file that you wish to archive.
- After that, you need to include all the items with the Do Not Auto Archive option so that you will be able to archive the specific files that require automated archiving.
- After that, you need to choose the OK option to end the process.
What Do You Need to Do If the Free Manual Techniques Fail?
Even if they seem effective, the free manual methods might fail to reduce the PST file size. This is because the free methods aren’t capable of splitting the corrupted PST files. You also need to pay close attention to the installation of MS Outlook so that you can divide the PST files manually. But you don’t need to worry if the free manual methods fail to solve your problem. You need to consider the professional method which involves a third-party PST recovery tool to repair the corrupted Outlook 2016/2013 data files.
An Automated Technique to Decrease Size of the PST Files
After understanding that the free manual methods might not work all the time, you need to use professional third-party tools. If you want to reduce the PST file size without any issue to prevent the corruption of PST files, make sure you use the DataNumen PST Recovery tool.
Now you know some great ways to reduce PST file size. If you still have any questions, make sure you contact us to know more.